From my Grandmother’s Estate. Notation on card says this was one of several griddlecake recipes served at church breakfast fundraisers for years. Dated 1928.
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- ½ cup cooked cereal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons melted shortening
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1-teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix and then sift all of the dry ingredients.
- Add the well-beaten egg to the liquid.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients very gradually and stir quickly.
- Add the melted shortening, egg whites and vanilla extract.
- Place on griddle and cook about 2 minutes on each side.
- Don’t turn more than once, it makes them tough.
Contributed by Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.