Château d'Barre is a more expensive, homemade version of "Syrup" (the drink, also known as "purple drank"). There is also a variation called "Huile de Beaujolais", in which Chateau d’Yquem Sauternes is replaced by Beaujolais nouveau, a red wine. This is the real:"purple drank" of the two.
- Same procedure as that for making poppy tea, except instead of water only, poppy powder is added to simple, (pharmaceutical), syrup, and only tonic water is used in the preparation of that syrup.
- Add wine and stir once more.
- Chill mixture in refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Serve cold, on ice if desired.
- See below for instructions on preparation of both poppy tea and simple syrup.