- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 small habanero pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 dash cloves (no more than 1/8 tsp)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, diced (about 2 cups)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 lb frozen green peas, thawed
- Sauté the onions gently in oil in a covered pot, stirring frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes, until the onions are just translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Mix in the ginger, salt and all the spices and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the tomatoes and sweet potato.
- Stir well.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water and stir.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 5 minutes.
- Add half of the Peas and simmer, covered, for another 10 minutes, or until the Peas and sweet potato are tender.
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 cups of water.
- Purée the soup in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth.
- Return soup to the pot, add the remaining Peas and gently reheat.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.