- 8 cups water
- 2 inches fresh ginger, unpeeled and chopped coarse
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 3–4 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons black tea or decaf tea
- 1 cup milk or soy milk
- whipped cream (optional)
- cinnamon (optional)
- Add water, ginger, star anise, cinnamon stick, and vanilla in a large pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer; cook for 40 minutes. Add honey, tea and milk. Bring back to a boil then remove from heat. Allow to cool to room temperature, strain with a fine strainer or through a strainer and a paper towel or cheesecloth. Refrigerate until chilled.
- In a 9 x 13 inch pan (or a pan large enough to fit in your freezer shelf) freeze mixture. When almost frozen, scrape with a fork to break up chai mixture. Re-freeze for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours, scrape again with a fork and return to freezer. When frozen, serve or transfer to a plastic container for later. If using later, allow to melt slightly then scrape again with fork and serve. Garnish with whipped cream and ground cinnamon, if desired.
Other Links Edit
See also Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.