- This recipe yields 4 servings.
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- olive oil spray as needed
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion sliced (1 cup)
- 2 medium garlic cloves crushed
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 pita breads
- Preheat broiler.
- Line a baking tray with aluminum foil and place red bell peppers on tray.
- Spray peppers with olive oil spray.
- Broil 5 minutes per side.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized nonstick frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute 5 minutes.
- Remove peppers from broiler, and core, seed, and slice them.
- Add peppers and tomatoes to frying pan.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- If mixture is watery, cook a few minutes more.
- Sprinkle with sugar and toss well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place pita in broiler, which should still be warm from cooking peppers, for 2 minutes before serving.
- Spoon warm salad into a serving bowl or on individual plates with couscous salad and serve with warm pita bread.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.