This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Stewart Estate in Quinlan, Texas in 1994.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 6 small fresh beets trimmed of all but 2 inches of greens and unpeeled
- 2 medium red onions unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare a moderately hot charcoal fire in a grill unit that has a cover.
- Place beets and red onions in a cast iron skillet and drizzle with olive oil then place skillet on grill rack over fire and cover the grill unit and roast the vegetables for 1½ hours.
- Remove vegetables from skillet with tongs.
- Add broth, vinegar and 1teaspoon thyme to the skillet then place over high heat and boil liquid scraping bottom of skillet for about 4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Peel beets and onions when cool enough to handle.
- Slice beets into julienne strips and onions into thin rings then spoon liquid over onions and beets.
- Add remaining ½ teaspoon thyme and stir well to combine.
- Heat briefly and serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.