- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp canola oil
- Papaya Avocado Salsa or Mango Salsa
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large chayote, shredded (about 2½ cups)
- 1 large boiling potato, peeled and shredded (about 2½ cups)
- 1 small yellow onion, shredded
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- Place chayote, potato and onion in colander and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Transfer mixture to medium bowl and mix in eggs, cornmeal and seasonings.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook cakes in batches, scooping about ½ cup into skillet for each cake and pressing down to form 4- to 5-inch disk.
- Cook until both sides are lightly browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer finished cakes to a warm plate and cover.
- Repeat with remaining mixture, adding more oil to skillet if necessary.
- Serve right away with mango salsa or papaya-avocado salsa.
[[Category:Yellow onion Recipes
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.