Makes 15 to 18 latkes (4 servings).
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- sour cream (optional)
- applesauce (optional)
- Combine rice, Cheese, Onion, flour, salt, pepper and egg yolks in medium bowl.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in small bowl until stiff but not dry. #Fold beaten egg whites into rice mixture.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons batter into skillet for each latke; push batter into diamond shape using spatula.
- Cook latkes, turning once, until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve warm with sour cream and applesauce, if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.