- 5 tbsp butter
- ½ lbs mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp green onion, chopped
- ½ tsp mixed vegetable seasoning
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp sherry
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1¼ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In frying pan, melt butter; add mushrooms and onion, stirring until all liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Add seasonings and flour; stir until blended.
- Gradually stir in milk and sherry.
- Blend in egg yolks one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold whites into mushroom mixture until just blended; fold in about ⅘ of cheese.
- Spoon mixture into buttered individual souffle dishes or single large souffle dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake small dishes for 25 – 30 minutes at 375°F.
- Bake large souffle at 350°F for 35 – 40 minutes or until puffy and golden.
- Serve immediately.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.