- 1 cup finely chopped bacon
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped fine
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ medium onion, chopped fine
- ⅔ cup flour
- 1 stick butter
- 3 quart milk
- 1 pimento, drained and chopped
- 1 cup chicken bouillon
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1½ lbs cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ lbs provolone cheese, grated
- ½ cup beer
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon until crisp, remove from pan and reserve.
- In about ¾ tsp (2 oz) of the bacon drippings, sauté bell pepper, onion and celery.
- Make a roux by mixing flour and butter over a warm burner of the stove.
- When it starts to brown, add milk slowly, mixing all the while.
- Add the mixture of sauted vegetables, bacon, pimento, bouillon, and garlic powder.
- Heat over medium heat.
- When the milk mixture reaches a medium temperature, add the cheeses and stir until cheeses liquefy.
- Add beer to the soup.
- Reduce heat to simmer and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Just before removing soup from stove, mix in parsley for color.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Freezes well.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.