This recipe is great with any meal and serves as a good lunch dish.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Diabetic Cooking Magazine via dlife
- Servings: 6
- 2¼ cups water, divided
- 1 cup stone-ground or regular yellow cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- ¾ cup (3oz) reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced 
- 1 tsp margarine
- ½ tsp salt, divided
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups coarsely chopped peeled eggplant
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- ½ cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp minced fresh oregano
- ¼ tsp minced fresh rosemary
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp ground pepper blend
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil.
- Slowly add cornmeal, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Lightly beat eggs and egg whites with remaining ¼ cup water.
- Add to cornmeal; cook and stir until bubbly.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese, jalapeno pepper, margarine and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Pour into 9-inch square baking pan.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or until firm.
- Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat until hot.
- Cook and stir onion, eggplant and garlic 5 minutes or until onion is transparent.
- Add zucchini, tomato, bell pepper, parsley, oregano, rosemary, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, red pepper and pepper blend.
- Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
- Heat skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Cut polenta in 6 rectangles.
- Cook over medium heat 8 minutes on each side or until crusty and lightly browned.
- Serve zucchini stew over polenta.
- ↑ Jalapeno peppers can sting and irritate the skin; wear rubber gloves when handling peppers and do not touch eyes. Wash hands after handling.
Nutritional information Edit
- 219 Calories (30% of calories from fat) | 7g Total Fat | 10g Protein | 29g Carbs | 3g Dietary Fiber | 79mg Cholesterol | 437mg Sodium | 2g Saturated Fat | 141mg Calcium | 1mg Iron | Vitamin A 141 | Vitamin C 47mg
- Dietary Exchanges: 1½ starch/bread, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, ½ fat
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.