Here is a family-style dish to be served any time of year. It is a substantial soup stew, well seasoned in Afghan style & combined w/a crispy-bottomed rice provides contrasting texture to stew. The stew & rice are served separately.
- 5 c -water
- 4 Chicken legs and
- 4 Chicken thighs, loose skin -discarded
- 1 c Dried chick-Peas, soaked in -water overnight & drained
- 2 md (1 cup) onions, chopped
- 1 Rib celery w/leaves, sliced
- 1 lg carrot, sliced diagonally
- 1 (1/2 lb) zucchini, sliced
- 1 ts salt, or to taste
- 1/4 ts pepper
- 1/4 ts Ground cuminseed
- 1/4 c Fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/4 c Fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 4 c water
- 1 ts salt
- 2 c Raw rice, well rinsed
- 1/4 c corn oil
- To prepare stew: Bring water to a boil, add Chicken pieces, & remove foam as it cooks. Add chick-Peas, onions, celery, carrots, zucchini, salt, pepper, & cuminseed. Cover pan & cook over moderate heat for 45 mins. Add coriander, dill, & lemon juice & simmer over low heat for 15 mins more. This is sufficient to tenderized Chicken & ingrate all seasonings.
- To prepare rice: Bring 4 c water & salt to a boil in pan. Add rice & cook over moderate heat for 5 mins. Drain rice in colander & rinse w/cold water. Return rice to pan and pour oil over all. Cover pan & cook over low heat for 1/2 hr. No other water is added & rice cooks only moisture clings to it after rinsing. The rice will develop a crisp bottom layer.
- Serve rice & stew separately. Each diner takes their own portion of rice & covers it w/as much stew as they wish. Serve warm.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.