- 3 to 4 lb Chicken, cut to frying pieces
- salt and cayenne pepper
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 pound andouille Sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 pint oysters with their Liquor
2. Warm chicken broth in a sauce pan.
3. In a heavy iron pot, make a dark roux by slowly browning the oil and flour, stirring constantly. When the roux is the color a pecan, add the onions, green bell peppers and celery. Cook until vegetables are wilted, about 10–15 minutes.
5. A few minutes before serving, add oysters and their Liquor; simmer just until oysters curl.