This recipe can be made ahead and frozen
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Mrs. John Marbut, Jr.
- Serve 12 to 15
- 1 stewing hen or equivalent in mixed fryer pieces (5 lbs)
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp seasoned salt
- ¼ tbsp cayenne pepper or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 3 oz Swiss cheese
- 2 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cans artichokes (14 oz each)
- 3 cans (4½ oz each) button mushrooms
- grated cheese
- Simmer chicken in water seasoned with 1 rib celery, 1 onion, 1 bay leaf and 1 t.
- Remove chicken from bones and cut into large pieces.
- Make cream sauce of butter, flour, milk, stock and seasonings.
- When thickened, stir in tomato sauce and cheeses, cooking until cheese melts.
- Add artichokes and mushrooms, mix all ingredients well.
- Pour into a 3 quart shallow casserole.
- Top with additional grated cheese and paprika.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.