This hearty casserole goes together quickly. The bulgur wheat gives it a nutty flavor, but pearl barley may also be used for a creamier dish, or use your favorite grain. Using two types of rice would also work. You may need to adjust the amount of broth and/or the cooking time.
- 2 lbs. chicken -- split breasts or boneless thighs work best
- 1/2 c. rice
- 1/2 c. bulgur
- 1 c. diced onion
- 1 c. diced carrot
- 1/2 c. diced celery
- 2 c. chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika (optional)
- In a large microwave-safe casserole with a lid, mix rice and bulgur in an even layer
- Spread diced vegetables over rice.
- Place chicken on vegetables. If using split breasts, place with meaty side down.
- Sprinkle meat with salt, pepper, and spices to taste
- Poor broth over all
- Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes; reduce power to medium and cook for an additional 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and shred or cut meat, removing bones.
- Mix well before serving.
- This recipe is from the 80s, which is why it is cooked in the microwave. If you wish to use a traditional oven, heat the broth to boiling before adding it. Then place in a 375 F oven for about 1 hr (or until fully cooked).