This divine poultry dish is packed with flour, herbs, and real breadcrumbs and made with milk, lemon peel, and almonds as it then delivers a rich aroma that it relishes with the chicken.
- 8 whole chicken breasts, split in half, skinned and boned
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk, regular or low-fat/skimmed only
- 1 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 2 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper, black only
- 3 cups dried breadcrumbs
- 2 cups slivered almonds
- ½ tsp tarragon, crushed
- ¾ cup margarine
- 4 tbsp. salad oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. minced parsley
- lemon wedges and parsley for garnish
- Slightly flatten chicken breasts between two sheets of wax paper; set aside.
- In a blender, combine eggs, flour, milk, lemon peel, pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Blend until smooth.
- Place chicken in large, shallow baking dish. Pour batter over chicken and coat well. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Combine bread crumbs, almonds, tarragon and 1 teaspoon salt in a large pan. Remove chicken from batter, draining well.
- Coat chicken evenly in bread mixture. Set aside on wax paper in a single layer.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons margarine and 1 tablespoon oil until foamy.
- Add 4 pieces chicken and saute 5 minutes on each side. Place chicken on paper towel in a large baking pan and place in a warm oven. Wipe out skillet with paper towels.
- Add more oil and margarine. Repeat until all chicken has been lightly browned.
- Then add chicken broth and lemon juice to skillet and heat to a simmer.
- Mix up 4 tablespoons margarine. Leave sauce in a skillet and cover. Remove from heat and set aside.
- At serving time, heat sauce to boiling and season to taste. Mix up parsley.
- To serve, arrange chicken on a serving platter.
- Spoon hot sauce over chicken. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley. Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.