- 8 whole chicken breasts, split in half, skinned and boned
- 3 eggs
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. milk
- 1 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3 c. dried bread crumbs
- 2 c. slivered almonds
- 1/2 tsp. tarragon, crushed
- 3/4 c. margarine
- 4 Tbsp. salad oil
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1/4 c. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. minced parsley
- lemon wedges and parsley for garnish
1. Slightly flatten chicken breasts between two sheets of wax paper; set aside. In a blender combine eggs, flour, milk, lemon peel, pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Blend until smooth. Place chicken in large, shallow baking dish. Pour batter over chicken and coat well. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
2. Combine bread crumbs, almonds, tarragon and 1 teaspoon salt in large pan. Remove chicken from batter, draining well. Coat chicken evenly in bread mixture. Set aside on wax paper in a single layer.
3. In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons margarine and 1 tablespoon oil until foamy. Add 4 pieces chicken and saute 5 minutes on each side. Place chicken on paper towel in a large baking pan and place in a warm oven. Wipe out skillet with paper towels. Add more oil and margarine. Repeat until all chicken has been lightly browned. Then add chicken broth and lemon juice to skillet and heat to a simmer. Stir in 4 table-spoons margarine. (May be prepared in advance to this point.)
5. Leave sauce in skillet and cover. Remove from heat and set aside. At serving time, heat sauce to boiling and season to taste. Stir in parsley.
6. To serve, arrange chicken on serving platter. Spoon hot sauce over chicken. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.