This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Pryor estate in Grapevine, Texas in 1996.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 chicken cut into pieces
- 1½ pounds okra pods trimmed
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 quarts water, hot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Dredge chicken in flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper the fry in bacon drippings until golden brown. Set aside.
- In separate skillet fry the trimmed okra pods with tomato in the shortening. Set aside.
- Add flour to the grease in which the chicken was fried and prepare a dark roux.
- When roux is ready add chicken and okra mixture. Stir briefly then add hot water.
- Add salt and pepper and simmer 2 hours.
- Serve over mounds of white rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.