Chicken Picante from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 6
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into ½-inch wide strips
- 3 x 14½ oz cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 x 29½ oz can hominy, drained or 3 cups whole kernel corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder or to taste
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add chicken to the skillet and sauté until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, hominy and chili powder and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon, about 8 minutes.
- Mix in cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper.