- 3½ cups shredded cooked rotisserie chicken (from a 2½-lb bird)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 5 oz coarsely grated Monterey jack cheese (with or without hot peppers; 2 cups)
- 8 (7-inch) flour tortillas
- Sprinkle chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Cook onion with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper in oil in a 10- to 12-inch skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add chicken to onion mixture along with cheese.
- Put 1 tortilla on a cutting board and spread ½ cup chicken mixture over half of tortilla, then fold other half over to form a half-moon, pressing firmly on seam.
- Assemble 7 more quesadillas in same manner.
- Heat lightly oiled grill pan over high heat until it begins to smoke, then reduce heat to moderate and grill quesadillas, 2 at a time, turning over once, until cheese is melted and golden brown grill marks appear, about 4 minutes total per batch.
- Transfer with a spatula to cutting board and cut in half.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.