Makes 6 servings
- 12 choice chicken pieces (about 2½ pounds)
- salt and ground black pepper
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 2 x 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 x 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms including liquid
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup red wine
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in large skillet.
- Add chicken and cook until brown on all sides. Spoon out all but 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Add tomato sauce, onion salt, brown sugar, bay leaf, mushrooms, parsley and wine to skillet. Bring to boil, cover, and simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve over fluffy rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.