Chickpea 'Fries' SERVES: 6
- 2 cups chickpea flour (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/3 cups water
- vegetable oil, for frying
- In a heavy medium saucepan, combine the chickpea flour with the parsley, garlic, pepper and 1 teaspoon of salt. Whisk in the water in a thin stream until a smooth paste forms. Boil the mixture over moderately high heat, whisking constantly, until very thick, about 5 minutes. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Scrape the dough into a 12-by-7 1/2 -inch baking dish and smooth the surface. Let cool to room temperature. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the dough and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- In a medium skillet, heat 2 inches of oil to 350°. Unmold the Chickpea dough onto a cutting board. Cut it in half lengthwise, then slice crosswise into 1/2 -inch-wide sticks.Fry the Chickpea sticks in 2 batches until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fries to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with salt and serve at once.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.