Chickpea Stew from the Public Health Cookbook -- original source of recipe, government resource in the public domain
- Cook Time: About 30 minutes
- Serves: 4
- low-fat cooking spray
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium-sized green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium and low-fat vegetable broth
- 1½ cups water
- 1 x 10 ounce package frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 x 15 ounce can chickpeas (also labeled as garbanzo beans)
- 1 cup tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced (optional)
- Spray a large saucepan with low-fat cooking spray then raise heat to medium-high.
- Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and stir-fry until onion is tender.
- Stir in cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, water, corn and oregano then raise heat to bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and tomatoes, then stir thoroughly.
- Cover and simmer for 3–4 minutes.
- Serve stew with a sprinkle of green onions.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.