Georgian mutton soup
- 500 g mutton
- 2 onions
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp saffron
- 2 tbsp grape vinegar
- kindza (the leaves of coriander)
- salt, pepper
- Wash the mutton in cold water.
- Cut so as to have 3 or 4 pieces per plate.
- Bring to a boil and skim.
- Remove the mutton when tender; strain the stock through a cheesecloth.
- Chop the onion, saute in butter, sprinkle with flour and brown.
- Return the mutton to the stock, thicken with browned flour and onion.
- Add saffron, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a ball.
- Separately boil the light grape vinegar, add it to the soup, bring to a boil again and remove from heat.
- Beat the egg yolks, combine with a little of stock and then stir into the soup; heat but do not bring to the boiling point otherwise the yolk will curdle.
- Sprinkle with kindza and serve immediately.
- Chicken maybe substituted for mutton.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.