This composed salad of beef and purple potatoes originated in Santiago, Chile, where it’s often served as a quick lunch. The dressing is a tangy, spicy mix, a good match against all the different textures. Some purple potatoes turn steely gray when cooked, but the color change won’t affect the taste of this hearty salad. I got this recipe off of the MSNBC web site. I have not tried it but it does look very good so I thought that I would share it with you all.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 lb hanger steak, trimmed of any excess fat
- 2 lbs purple potatoes, such as purple Peruvians or all blues, scrubbed
- ¾ cup white corn kernels (about 1 large ear) or frozen corn, thawed
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 dashes tabasco sauce, to taste
- In a small bowl, mix the garlic, chili powder, 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, the cumin, and salt until well combined.
- Massage this mixture into both sides of the hanger steak.
- Cover and refrigerate the meat for at least 2 hours, but no more than 6 hours.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
- Drain and cool, then cut into quarters, or 2-inch chunks, whichever is smaller.
- Position the broiler rack 4 inches from the heat and preheat the broiler.
- Place the hanger steak on a large lipped baking sheet.
- Broil, turning once, about 3 minutes each side for medium.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut it in half, then slice each piece into thin strips against the grain, cutting in long strokes with the knife at a 45-degree angle to the cutting board.
- Place the sliced steak, potatoes, corn, avocado, radishes, and scallions in a large bowl.
- Whisk the last 5 ingredients with the remaining lime juice. Add to the other ingredients and toss gently.
- Serve immediately or it's great the next day!