Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: Cooking Light 1997
- Yield: 12 Servings
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1½ tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1½ cups uncooked bulgur or cracked wheat
- 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 1 (16-oz) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 (14½-oz) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14½-oz) can vegetable broth
- 2 drained canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded reduced-fat Monterey jack cheese, divided
- 2 cups baked tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and next 7 ingredients (onion through garlic); sauté 5 minutes.
- Add water and next 7 ingredients (water through chiles); bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon half of bean mixture into the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- Top with remaining bean mixture.
- Cover and bake at 375°F for 40 minutes.
- Uncover;sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Press chips into casserole.
Nutritional information Edit
Per 1½ cups serving size:
- 237 Calories (21% From Fat) | 5.5g Fat (2.4g Sat, 0.7g Mono, 0.6g Poly) | 13.4g Protein | 12 mg Cholesterol | 198 mg Calcium | 459 mg Sodium | 36.2g Carbs | 7.4g Fiber | 2.5g Iron
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.