Pork Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 8
- 2 pounds boneless pork butt (shoulder), cubed and dusted with flour seasoned with black pepper
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 x 4 oz cans diced green chilis, drained
- 3 x 14½ oz cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- Heat fat in Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add pork cubes and brown evenly on all sides.
- Add onions and garlic to pan; cook and stir until onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring all to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer, cover and simmer until pork is very tender and liquid is slightly thickened.
- Serve immediately over hot cooked rice, if desired.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.