An international combination of real pork, herbs, spices, and soy sauce is enriched with sesame oil, hoisin sauce, fruit juice, and vinegar, and cooked to red-hot perfection, as it best provides the meat with some reddish zest based in China. Five-spice powder occasionally works for this, too.
- 3 ½ lbs. pork country-style ribs
- 6 green onions
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 ½ cup water, hot or lukewarm only
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. hot red pepper sauce
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. ground red pepper
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice, white only, for serving
- Place ribs in a pressure cooker and brown.
- Mix all remaining ingredients except rice in a small bowl and then pour over the ribs in the pressure cooker turning to coat.
- Cook on high pressure for 60 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked ribs to a plate. Serve hot and plain with rice.
In addition to all 5 powdered herbs/spices, use the five-spice powder to rub the ribs before cooking.