- 1-1/2 pints chocolate ice cream (slightly softened)
- 1 pint mocha or coffee ice cream
- 1 15- or15-1/2 oz. package brownie mix
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- Line a l-l/2-quart mixing bowl with plastic wrap.
- With back of large spoon, spread chocolate ice cream to line bowl, being sure ice cream comes to top of bowl.
- Freeze one hour.
- Remove bowl from freezer.Spoon mocha ice cream into center of chocolate ice cream.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm (about 5 hours, at least).
- Meanwhile, prepare brownie mix as label directs for cake-like brownies, but use a 9-inch round cake pan and bake 30 minutes.
- Place brownie on foil lined cookie sheet.
- Remove ice cream from freezer and discard plastic cover.
- Invert bowl on top of brownie and peel off plastic liner.
- Freeze until needed.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To prepare meringue: In small bowl, beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar at high speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in Sugar until completely dissolved.
- Whites should stand in stiff, glossy peaks.
- Remove ice cream cake from freezer.
- Spread meringue over ice cream cake, being sure that brownie is completely sealed around the bottom with meringue.
- Bake 4 to 5 minutes until meringue is lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.