Purchased from the Colvin Estate in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1989. Dated 1934. This recipe indicates this was a Blue Ribbon Winner in the Arkansas State Bake-off in 1949.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup margarine or butter, softened
- ½ cup shortening
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped nuts or shelled
- sunflower seeds (optional)
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In large bowl, combine brown sugar, sugar, margarine and shortening; beat until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and egg; blend well.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt; mix well.
- Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Spread in ungreased 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Bake for 15 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into bars.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.