Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (1-pound) box powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ cup pecans, toasted and chopped (optional)
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package.
- Add coconut and pecans.
- Pour batter into 3 well-greased cake pans.
- Bake at 350 °F for 15–18 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely.
- Combine cream cheese and butter in large mixer bowl; mix at medium speed until well combined.
- Add vanilla; mix well.
- Add powdered sugar a little at the time, mixing until mixture is of spreading consistency.
- Spread between layers and on top of chocolate pecan coconut cake.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans, if desired.
- For testing purposes, Duncan Hines German Chocolate Cake Mix was used. The taste and texture of the cake and frosting were good despite the fact that the recipe was made from a cake mix base.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.