- 2 medium chayote squash
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 2 green chillies, crushed
- turmeric, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 red chilli
- urad dal
- oil, (seasoning)
- curry leaves, (seasoning)
- Peel skin of squash.
- Cook with a little water, turmeric and salt.
- When done yet firm, add coconut and green chilli mix.
- Pour seasoning on top.
- If there's more liquid it becomes kootu, if moist but not liquidy then poduthual.
- You can do plantains (raw, green or, if not there, very, very green chiquita bananas) for a vazhakai poduthual/thoran.
- Also can do red pumpkin/butternut squash similarly.
- An excellent and quick ckakka thoran is also possible.
- A thai canned product is green jackfruit, already cooked. Just shred this by hand, prepare seasoning in 5-6 tablespoons oil and toss crushed coconut and green chillies in. salt. Stir well and remove when thoroughly heated through and still moist.
- This dish needs a fair amount of coconut, and the fresh one is preferred.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.