Cabbage with onions. Tasty side dish from French Country Kitchen - Ann Hughes-Gilbey
- 1 head green cabbage or white cabbage (about 2 lbs.)
- 3 sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon meat drippings or bacon drippings or 2 tablespoons olive oil (we use the oil)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper (as much as you wish)
- caraway seeds
- Shred the cabbage, discarding the outside leaves and the stock.
- Plunge it into boiling salted water and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, drain and press out all moisture.
- Sweat the onions in the fat or oil, when transparent, turn up the heat to brown slightly.
- Stir in the brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cook until coloured a little more, then incorporate the cabbage, reheat.
- Sprinkle lightly with caraway seed, if desired, when serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.