Recipe by Irene Selway Robinson (1923 – 1993)
- Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 4 cups onions
- 6 cups white sugar
- 4 cups cabbage
- 4 cups vinegar
- 4 cups green tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 12 large green bell peppers
- 1 tbsp celery seed
- 6 large red bell peppers
- 2 tbsp mustard seed
- ½ cup salt (try to get non-iodized salt, if possible)
- 1½ tsp turmeric
- a pinch (hot) pepper flakes
- Chop or grate onions, cabbage, tomatoes, green and red bell peppers, by what ever method is easiest for you, until fairly fine.
- Sprinkle with salt, and let stand overnight.
- Heat the sugar, vinegar, water, celery seed, mustard seed, and turmeric to boiling.
- Rinse and drain vegetables, mixing well.
- Add vegetables to liquid.
- Boil three minutes.
- Spoon or ladle into sterilized pint jars and seal.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.