Christmas Fruit Cake from Recipes Wiki—original source of recipe, licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License
- Cook Time: 45 – 60 minutes to bake
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup low-fat margarine
- 1 cup mixed dark and light raisins
- ½ cup almonds, chopped
- ½ cup hazelnuts, chopped
- rind of 1 orange fine grated
- 1¾ cup grated carrots
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup granulated sweetener
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp brandy or rum (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together and rub in the margarine until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add fruit, nuts, orange rind, carrots and spices and mix well.
- Mix the sweetener into the eggs and beat into the dry ingredients.
- Add enough orange juice to make a soft dough.
- Put the mixture into 8" round or 7x7" nonstick cake pan and bake for 45 – 60 minutes (or use larger pan and reduce cooking time) when ready, the cake should be firm to the touch and a toothpick should come out clean.
- Cool in the cake pan.
- Turn out upside down, make a few toothpick holes in the bottom and spoon in any leftover orange juice and alcohol if using.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Suggested icing is made with apples and cottage cheese.
- 180 calories | 20 grams (2 units) carbohydrate | 4 grams fiber | 5 grams protein | 9 grams fat
- 2 bread/starch exchanges
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.