- Yield: about 20 bars.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground mace
- ⅓ cup vegetable shortening, soft
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup gumdrops, no licorice
- ½ cup black walnuts, chopped
- confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 9 x 2 inch pan.
- Sift flour with baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.
- Place shortening, brown sugar, egg and vanilla into large bowl.
- Use an electric mixer set at medium speed to beat mixture until light and fluffy.
- Add half the flour mixture and the evaporated milk and beat until smooth.
- Stir in remaining flour mixture until well combined.
- Add gumdrops and coarsely chopped walnuts (or pecans), mixing well.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 25 – 30 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove pan to wire rack and cool partially.
- Cut into bars while still warm.
- Sprinkle lightly with sifted confectioner's sugar.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.