- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 1½ tsp soda
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 6 tbsp whiskey or brandy
- 1½ tbsp buttermilk
- 1½ cup flour, divided
- ½ lbs seedless white raisins
- ½ lbs chopped dates (optional)
- 1 lbs candied cherries cut in half
- ½ lbs chopped citron or 4 oz grated lemon peel plus
- 4 oz grated orange peel
- 1 lbs pecans, chopped or halved
- Heat oven to 250°F.
- Cream together sugar, butter, soda, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Add beaten eggs and mix well, then add buttermilk, liquor, and one-half cup of the flour.
- In a separate bowl, combine fruits and pecans with the remaining one cup flour, then mix into a batter.
- Drop by tablespoonful (a clump about the size of a small egg) onto greased cookie sheets and bake for 35 minutes.
- Bake one sheet at a time; remaining batter can stand either in mixing bowl or, after being dropped, on baking sheets without loosing its quality.
- When done, cool, pack in shallow tin or other container, and cover with cheesecloth.
- Drizzle with whiskey and brandy through the cheesecloth; repeat every few days.
- No need to refrigerate.
- Can be made three weeks ahead of Christmas.
- Can be eaten immediately after cooling.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving :
- 162 calories | 2 g protein | 9 g fat | 21 g carbohydrate | 17 mg cholesterol | 66 mg sodium
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.