- Serves 15
- ½ cup raisins, dark or golden
- ¼ cup dried apricots, chopped
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple juice or ¼ cup rum
- 1 pack (or 1 tbsp) active dry yeast
- ⅓ cup milk, heated to lukewarm (105 to 110°F)
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup margarine
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp lemon rind, grated
- 1 to 1½ cup flour
- ½ cup sliced blanched almonds
- ½ cup low-sugar apricot preserves
- Combine the raisins, apricots and apple juice (or rum) in a bowl.
- Let soak overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Combine the yeast, milk and the ½ cup of flour in a bowl.
- Mix until smooth and the mixture looks like thick mashed potatoes.
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place for 10 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
- Meanwhile, cream the margarine, sugar, salt, almond extract and lemon rind.
- Beat in the yeast mixture and 1¼ cups of the flour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured surface and knead in about 1⁄4 cup more flour, or until the dough is soft.
- Knead for 3 minutes.
- Put in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1½ to 2 hours.
- Once the dough has doubled, knead in the raisin mixture and almonds.
- Knead until well mixed.
- Roll the dough into a rectangular 12- by 6-inch shape.
- Roll up jelly roll fashion.
- Place on a lightly-oiled baking sheet and let rise about 30 minutes.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool partially on a wire rack.
- Glaze the cool but not cold stollen with the apricot preserves.
Nutritional information Edit
- Calories per 1 serving 162 | carbohydrates 23 | protein 2 | fat 7 | sodium 116 | potassium 121 | cholesterol 0
- Exchange value: 1 bread + ½ fruit + 1 fat exchange
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.