- Makes: 10-12 servings
- 1 lbs mascarpone or soft cream cheese
- ¾ cup sugar
- 8 large egg yolks
- ½ cup sweet wine
- 2 cup espresso or very strong black coffee (approx.)
- 9 oz ladyfingers or 14 oz angel food or sponge cake, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- In a small bowl, using a fork, beat the cheese until creamy.
- Set aside.
- Place a large (about 10-12 cups capacity) metal bowl over a pot of boiling water.
- Using a hand-held electric mixer set on medium high, beat the sugar and egg yolks in the bowl for 1 minute, or until the mixture is well blended.
- With the mixer set on low speed to prevent splashing, gradually add the wine.
- Continue to cook and beat the mixture, increasing the speed to medium and then to high as the mixture thickens.
- Cook and beat for 5-7 minutes, or until the mixture is thickened and light, scraping down the sides of the bowl frequently with a rubber spatula.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and continue to beat the mixture for 1 minute longer.
- Beat in the cheese just until blended (makes about 5 cups).
- Pour one cup of the espresso into a small shallow bowl that is large enough to hold a ladyfinger if it is placed horizontally in the bowl.
- Quickly dip the rounded top side of each ladyfinger into the espresso.
- Only the top half of the ladyfingers should be soaked with the espresso.
- If the ladyfingers get too wet, they will fall apart! add more coffee to the bowl as needed.
- Place the ladyfingers, flat side down, in the bottom of a 13 x 9 glass or ceramic pan.
- Do not use a metal pan.
- Form one layer.
- Pour half of the custard mixture over the ladyfingers and spread to cover them.
- Dip the remaining ladyfingers in the espresso (there will be a few remaining ones and form a second layer over the custard mixture.
- Pour the remaining custard mixture over the ladyfingers and spread to an even layer.
- Place the cocoa in a strainer and dust the top of the tiramisu evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 10 hours.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.