Polish "bows" – cookies
- Makes 8 dozen.
- 9 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp rum
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 confectioners' sugar
- 3 cups flour (sifted)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 oil for deep frying
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until well combined.
- Add sour cream, rum and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and add it to egg yolk mixture, a little at a time.
- On a heavily floured surface knead the dough vigorously, punching and squeezing as much flour into it as it will take until the dough is no longer sticky (½ hour).
- Separate dough into several portions and roll very thin.
- Turn the dough and loosen often when rolling.
- The dough should look like parchment paper that you can see through.
- Cut dough into strips approx. 1½ inches wide, 4 inches long.
- Make slit closer to one end and bring the longer end through the slit.
- Heat oil to 375°F and fry quickly (only a few seconds) until golden not brown.
- Turn only once.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Dust with confectioners sugar.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.