Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Source: Better Homes and Gardens
- Prep: 50 Minutes | Cook: 30 Minutes
- Makes 4 servings
- 12 ounces beef, top round steak, trimmed of separable fat
- 2 corn tortillas
- Nonstick spray coating
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 x 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 14½-ounce can low-sodium tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 x 4½-ounce can diced green chile peppers
- 1½ teaspoons snipped fresh basil or ½ teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon granules
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (1 ounce)
- Partially freeze meat about 30 minutes.
- Thinly slice across the grain into bite-size strips.
- Cut or tear tortillas into bite-size strips.
- Spread on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in a 350°F oven about 10 minutes or until crisp and dry. set aside.
- Spray an unheated large skillet with nonstick coating. Preheat over medium-high heat.
- Add meat, onion, and garlic. Cook and stir until meat is brown and onion is tender.
- Stir in the kidney beans, undrained tomatoes, water, chile peppers, basil, chili powder, bouillon granules, cumin, and black pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Ladle into individual serving bowls.
- Sprinkle each serving with some of the tortilla strips and 1 tablespoon shredded cheese.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.