Makes 6 servings.
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 14-1/2-ounce cans Mexican-style tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 11-ounce can whole-kernel corn, drained
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sour cream (optional)
Heat oil in 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté green pepper, onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until tender.
Add tomatoes, beans, corn, water, rice, chili powder and cumin; stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until rice is tender. To serve, top with sour cream, if desired.