- 1 cup cake flour, not self rising
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- Pinch ground cloves
- 12 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup confectioners' Sugar, sifted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dark rum
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 8 navel oranges
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur
- Heat oven to 375 degree F. Sift flour, 3/4 cup of the Sugar, cinnamon, and cloves together 3 times; set aside.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer until foamy, 4 minutes.
- Gradually increasing speed to medium, add cream of tartar and salt.
- Add remaining 3/4 cup Sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat at medium speed to stiff peaks, 2 minutes. Beat in the 1 teaspoon orange peel.
- Sift one third of dry ingredients over whites; carefully fold in with rubber spatula.
- Repeat two more times with remaining dry ingredients, just until blended.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Cut through batter with knife to remove any large air pockets.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until top of cake springs back when pressed with fingertip.
- Immediately invert pan onto funnel or bottle; let stand until completely cool.
- For glaze, combine confectioners' Sugar, rum, the 1/4 teaspoon orange peel, and 1 tablespoon of the orange juice, adding additional juice as needed to make a thick glaze.
- For orange Compote, peel one orange with vegetable peeler; cut peel into julienne strips.
- Bring water and the 1/2 cup granulated sugar to boil in saucepan; add peel and boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- With sharp knife, remove peel and white pith from remaining oranges;
- Cut between membranes to remove sections.
- Combine orange sections, any juice from sections, and liqueur with syrup and peel in bowl.
- Makes 5 cups.
- Run knife around side of pan and unmold cake.
- Transfer to serving plate and drizzle with Glaze.
- Serve with orange Compote. Makes 10 servings.
See also Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.