Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The New Family Cookbook For People with Diabetes
- Yield: 1 coffee cake (9 servings)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup margarine, softened
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup low-fat (1% fat) buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 medium apple, unpeeled, cored and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Prepare a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick pan spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, margarine, and egg whites until smooth.
- Stir in the buttermilk.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and mix just until the ingredients are moistened (the batter will be stiff).
- Fold in the apple.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cut into nine 3-inch squares.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (3-inch square):
- 214 Calories | 5g Fat | 0mg Cholesterol | 306mg Sodium | 37g Carbs | 1g Dietary Fiber | 15g Sugars | 4g Protein
- Diabetic Exchanges: 2½ other carbohydrate | ½ fat
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.