- 3 oz plain flour, sifted
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 3 oz light brown sugar
- 6 oz sultanas
- 6 oz currants
- 6 oz raisins
- 1 oz mixed peel
- 4 oz shredded suet
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 5 fl oz stout
- 2 tbsp orange liqueur or extra orange juice
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased 2 pint pudding basin.
- Cover with two rounds of pleated greaseproof paper and tie securely with string.
- Cover with pleated foil.
- Place the pudding on an upturned saucer in a large pan.
- Pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the basin.
- Cover and steam for 5 hours topping up with water when needed.
- Cool and re-cover with greaseproof paper.
- Store in a cool dry place.
- To serve, steam as before for 3 hours, then turn out onto a warmed serving plate and flame with brandy if liked.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.