Makes 8 servings.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cut up chicken
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground saffron or ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken; cook 10 minutes or until brown, turning occasionally. Remove chicken; keep warm.
- Add rice, onion, red pepper, green pepper, garlic, ¾ teaspoon salt and basil to pan; cook and stir 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and rice is browned.
- Add broth, lime juice, saffron and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; stir in tomatoes.
- Arrange chicken on top and sprinkle with remaining ¾ teaspoon salt and black pepper. Cover; reduce heat to low. Cook 20 minutes more.
- Stir in peas; cover and cook 10 minutes more or until fork can be inserted into chicken with ease and juices run clear, not pink. Remove bay leaf.
- Garnish with basil. Serve immediately.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.