Makes 9 servings.
- 2 cups (12 ounces) dry black beans or red kidney beans
- 7 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped Onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or corn oil
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- 5 cups hot cooked rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse beans. Soak overnight in 3-1/2 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt or bring to a boil, boil for 1 minute, remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
- Combine beans, salt, bay leaf, oregano, cumin, black pepper and remaining 3-1/2 cups water in 4-quart Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1-1/2 hours, or until beans are tender. Remove bay leaf.
- Cook green pepper, Onion and garlic in medium skillet in oil until tender crisp.
- Stir vegetables and wine into beans.
- Combine rice and parsley.
- Spoon rice onto serving plate. Top with beans.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.