- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 parsley root
- 1 leek (white part only)
- 1 parsnip
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound fresh or frozen smelts
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 2 – 3 bay leaves
- Combine the vegetables, salt, and 2 quarts of water in a 4-quart pot.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, partially covered.
- Add the smelts, peppercorns, and bay leaves, then return to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes, partially covered.
- Strain the stock, discard the vegetables and .
- Taste the broth for salt, remove bay leaves, and use as directed in the following recipes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.