- ½ lb lean beef (shoulder, shin or flank)
- 1 cup cut-up Chinese turnip
- 1 scallion
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 cup beef stock
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp salt
- Shred the beef into 2-inch lengths.
- Peel the turnip, cut it into 2-inch pieces, then slice.
- Cut the scallion into 2-inch lengths and mince the garlic.
- Bring the stock to a boil.
- Add the beef and bring to a boil a second time.
- Skim off the froth and add the turnip, scallion, garlic, soy sauce and salt.
- Lower the flame and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Variations: for a rich turnip soup, follow the procedure for rich soups.
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a heavy-bottomed pot and brown the meat.
- Add the turnip, scallion and garlic.
- Add the soy sauce and salt, then the stock.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.