This recipe yields 4 servings.
- 2 ½ lb cockles
- 2 tbsp cornmeal
- 2 tbsp lard
- 3 Spanish onions peeled, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves peeled, chopped
- green peppers cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can whole, peeled tomatoes –(16)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 prosciutto shredded
- ¼ lb smoked ham diced
- ¼ lb pepperoni diced
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Wash cockles and leave in cold salted water with cornmeal for half a day.
- In a pan heat lard and olive oil.
- Add onions, garlic and green peppers.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add bay leaf, tomatoes and their juice.
- Break up tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook slowly for 30 minutes.
- Then add tomato sauce, prosciutto, ham and pepperoni.
- Cook for 30 minutes more.
- Spoon half of tomato mixture into the bottom of a cataplana or a saucepan with a tight fitting lid.
- Bring to a simmer, adjusting heat so that it barely bubbles.
- Rinse cockles well and arrange them on top of sauce.
- Spoon remaining tomato sauce over them.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Open pan, add white wine and scatter cilantro on top.
- Cover tightly and return to a simmer.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes more, or until cockles open up.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.